Saturday, October 17, 2009

Romantic Getaway (Plus Two)

Since we moved here we've been talking about driving up the coast all the way to Maine in the fall to see the leaves ("leaf peeping" to east coasters), but we never seem to have the time. Of course, we might have found the time if I had realized prior to mid way though the week last week that I had Columbus day off. Since it was near our anniversary, we decided to make a romantic weekend of it and call it a gift to ourselves.

Kim pulled her magic and found us a last minute deal to at least stay for a night at a ski resort in Pennsylvania, so we packed our Columbus day decorations and headed north.


They had a fall festival going on, and an alpine slide.


The kids enjoyed their first ride on a ski lift.




Despite Henry's overall fearlessness, Team Dad came in first (by a mile..)


It was a relaxing day, and we just enjoyed the grounds of the resort




The next morning we got up and headed another 30 miles into the country side to see Falling Water, one of Frank Lloyd Wright's most celebrated structures. This was another thing that we've been meaning to do for a long time, and David and Sarah's recent visit inspired us to actually do it.


Please ignore the lack of pictures, and the overall blurriness. Somehow in our haste we forgot to charge the camera before we left.


This was the last shot we got before the camera died.


So although it wasn't quite Maine, we did have a great time. We also learned that sharing a hotel room with kids means going to bed at 8:45. Maybe they're not invited on our trip to Maine...

Happy seventh anniversary, Kimmie. You're still a great tour guide, even if you can't read a map to save your life.

6 comments:

The Obergs said...

Kim, will you hire out your services for travel planning to Taylor and I? We want to go to Las Vegas next year for our anniversary for the weekend and try out all of the incredible pools at the hotels. See what cheap little diddy you can come up with ok.

Well, you two managed to do it again. You always seem to find such fun things to do and make it seem effortless with two children. Taylor and I went to breakfast and the farmer's market this morning and got back only 15 minutes late for Hazel's nap but it still managed to screw up her whole routine...

I'm glad that you mentioned the inferiority of your pictures to Dave and Sarah's so that I didn't have to. All I have to say is that I'm glad THEY took pictures...

And by the way, how come I'm the only uncultured swine that has never even heard of this place or the guy who designed it?

Grandma and Grandpa Mac said...

Looks like you had beautiful weather and a good leaves showing. Henry is as cute as ever. We've noticed Megan's smile is more natural, almost like she likes having her picture taken. And her wardrobe has matured to that of a little lady. Life keeps going......nice job.

Steven and Megan said...

Was it terrifying to take your kids on a ski lift!!? I think Kim and Megan's smiles look a lot alike in the third picture. Very cute!

Becca said...

That's awesome guys. I am jealous about seeing falling water though... You guys are better parents than us, taking your kids with you on trips...

shauni said...

Happy Anniversary! I agree with Crystal, you guys never cease to amaze me with the fun places you visit. You always seem to find the places that are not touristy. I also have never heard of falling waters, I guess I need a culture lesson from you guys. The kids look as cute as ever.

Sarah said...

Isn't Falling Water fabulous?
I love Henry's face on the ski lift picture.