Monday, August 20, 2007

Austin Outdoors

These first pictures are from a short hike we like to go on by our apartment. It follows a stream for about a mile. Last year the stream dried up and disappeared, but with all the rain we've been getting the stream is running strong. Last Sunday we decided to go for a short walk after church. We didn't really plan on getting in (which is why Megan is in her pajamas), but she was having so much fun that we couldn't resist.






These pictures are from yet another outing to Inks lake and Cooper's barbecue. Every time we make the drive we like to bring along new recruits, and this time it was the Barlows.



We added a new stop on the trip this time, Longhorn Cavern.


We decided to get a campsite and stay late. We walked to a lookout spot and watched the sun set.



Kim was very sad that she broke her favorite sandal.


I know the feeling. Here's a picture of us a few years ago in Seattle when I did the same thing and made a similar face. (Ignore the fact that Kim is wearing the same outfit that she is in the first few pictures. Sometimes you just find the right clothes and stick with 'em for years.)



Since it was a last minute decision to get the camp site, we were able to thwart the Frost family camping curse and have nice weather. Here is a picture of my one-match fire (that's right, Taylor, one match).


Now that we've finally gotten used to the Austin weather and climate, we're packing up and moving again. I guess we'll just have to learn how to have fun outdoors in Virginia.

6 comments:

Lonna said...

You are such fun hosts. Thanks for letting us tag along with you. James is not a camper, but he sure did have a good time. I am glad to see that nothing can stop Megan from having a good time...not even pajamas. I heard that Cooper's will be going out of business as soon as you leave, nobody to bring in the crowds. So I hope that you are happy about that.

shauni said...

You guys are so much fun! You are always doing adventurous stuff. I'm sad that you are moving because Austin looks beautiful and I really wanted to come and visit you! Maybe someday we can come out to D.C.

Kelly said...

It does sound like you're leaving in style, making the most of it. We'll miss you! Travel safely.

Frost Family said...

Beavis, in response to your last blog post, to be a real man you have to grow more chest/nipple hair, compete in an axe throwing contest and chop wood or compete in a lumberjack relay. Also, you could never have beaten me at that punching game in St. George!!! Good luck with the move and hopefully we will come out and visit you guys in DC someday. Later, Dan

The Obergs said...

I'm glad to hear that you narrowly escaped a rain storm by not planning on setting up camp until the last second. Maybe that's what our family will have to do from now on, we'll just conveniently pack all of our camping stuff, but not plan on camping....

I am glad that we got to come visit you guys in Austin before the move and I hope you're still planning on us coming to DC hopefully over spring break.

By the way, I don't think anyone would have noticed that Kim was wearing the same clothes in both pictures had you not pointed it out. However, I probably would have written a disclaimer too if I were in that position.

Kim- I'm sorry to hear about your flip-flop. I've always secretly coveted those flip-flops so I'm just as sad to see them go as you are.

Susan said...

This looks like such fun--and a new adventure is coming up!! Mike, I think you and dad will have a great road trip--I kind of wish I was going too (well, maybe, you know how I feel about too long of a road trip. . .) Anyway, good look packing up and give Meg a kiss from grandma!